Death Toll Rises To 32 In Nangarhar Explosion

Afghan men carry an injured man to a hospital after a suicide attack in Nangarhar province

Afghan men carry an injured man to a hospital after a suicide attack in Nangarhar province

The death toll could be higher and the number of injured is estimated to be more than 100.

"The majority of civilian casualties occurred in the Mohmandara district of Nangarhar when a suicide attacker detonated his explosives among a crowd which had gathered to demonstrate against an Afghan Local Police commander".

The latest toll, reported by Attaullah Khogyani, a spokesman for the provincial governor, was up from an earlier figure of 32, according to The Associated Press.

Scores of demonstrators had blocked the highway between the provincial capital of Jalalabad and a major border crossing with Pakistan in protest over the appointment of a local police chief when the suicide bomber blew himself up.

Men shout slogans against terrorists after a suicide attack among the protesters in Momandara district of Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, on Tuesday. "At least 20 civilians were killed and more than 60 injured", UNAMA said.

The deadly suicide attack came hours after multiple bombings targeted schools in Nangarhar's capital, Jalalabad.


The Taliban denied any involvement.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for any of the bombings, which came as Americans were set to mark the 17th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terror attacks in NY and Washington. President Ashraf Ghani said in a statement that the ongoing "imposed war" is illegitimate and that attacks on civilian facilities, mosques, children, women and members of the public is a crime against humanity.

The fighting has tempered optimism that had been tentatively growing as Afghan and global players ratchet up efforts to convince the Taliban to negotiate an end to the 17-year conflict.

Both the Taliban and IS carry out near-daily attacks in Afghanistan targeting security forces and government officials.

Ghulam Mohammad Balkhi, deputy spokesman for the Afghan army's 209 Corps, said at least 30 Taliban fighters were killed in the joint operation.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.