Suspect captured in Tennessee sheriff’s deputy fatal shooting

Steven Wiggins shortly after his capture

Steven Wiggins shortly after his capture

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation said received more than 139 tips in the case.

Around 7:15 a.m. Friday, a trooper with the Tennessee Highway Patrol was patrolling an area along the Hickman and Dickson County line, when he spotted Wiggins on Stinson Road near a tree line.

The man wanted for killing a Dickson County Sheriff's deputy was taken into custody Friday morning. He was booked into the Dickson County Jail before being transported to the Davidson County Jail.

Investigators say the trooper approached Wiggins and when he noticed when it was Wiggins, he arrested him without any issues.

Baker discovered the vehicle had been reported stolen, Bledsoe said. They released a picture of the suspect shortly after his capture.

Dickson County sheriff's Sgt. Daniel Baker was killed after responded to a call about a suspicious vehicle on Wednesday. He was found dead Wednesday morning, spurring a nationwide search.

District Attorney General Ray Crouch said he will seek the death penalty against Wiggins, who faces a charge of first-degree murder.

Erika Castro-Miles, described as an acquaintance of the suspect, told police Wiggins had been "doing meth all night and smoking marijuana" before assaulting her and stealing her auto from a motel Tuesday morning in Kingston Springs, Tennessee, the police report said.

Baker, who also served in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve, is survived by his wife and daughter.

One day before the deputy's death, Wiggins was charged with aggravated assault, accused of slapping and pulling the hair of a woman he also threatened with a gun, according to a police report.

Baker couldn't be contacted for some time, but the deputy's auto was eventually tracked by Global Positioning System to a wooded area 2 or 3 miles away.

She fled the shooting scene Wednesday and hid under a house, the affidavit says. The next day, she was sitting in the vehicle with Wiggins when he shot the deputy, according to an affidavit filed in Dickson County court.

The trooper drew his weapon and told him to get on the ground. Rewards totaling $46,000 had been offered for information leading to his arrest. The TBI tweeted a photo of Steven Joshua Wiggins, 31, in handcuffs in the back of a squad auto Friday morning. The suspect was taken into custody "without incident", according to Steward.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.