Mystery paralysis in 5-year-old girl linked to tick bite

A tick bite led to the 5-year-old becoming paralysed

A tick bite led to the 5-year-old becoming paralysed

With a 5-year-old daughter she said was unable to walk and talk, a MS mom urgently warned parents to check their children for ticks. "Then I went to do her hair and noticed that she barely talks, and when I combed saw the tick", - said the girl's mother Jessica Griffin.

Griffin had a warning for other parents, and included photos of where the tick bit Kailyn on her head, as well as a photo of the pest itself.

Griffin said she immediately took Kailyn to an emergency room, where doctors ran blood tests and performed a CT scan to confirm the diagnosis of tick paralysis.

"PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks!" she posted, in part. She removed the tick and rushed her daughter to hospital.

Fun and laughter aside, Jessica wants her readers to be aware that tick paralysis is both real and unsafe.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a toxin in a tick's saliva is thought to cause tick paralysis and it can present like a neurological disorder.

Mom at first thought that maybe Kailyn had slept in an awkward position and her legs had gone numb, according to a Facebook post.


In happy news Kailyn was able to walk out of hospital after receiving treatment. Scary is a UNDERSTATEMENT! "It's more common in children than it is adults", she wrote last Wednesday.

The symptoms can occur five to seven days after the tick starts feeding. Paralysis sets in slowly, starting in the legs and spreading into upper body, stopping your breathing if left unchecked. It wasn't until she was brushing Kailyn's hair and pulling it back into a ponytail that she spotted a tick. A nurse bathing her after she was admitted to the hospital found a tick along her hairline.

Symptoms usually begin with numbness or tingling, fatigue or weakness.

And last year, Amanda Lewis woke up and found that her 3-year-old daughter, Evelyn, couldn't stand no matter how hard the little girl tried, according to the La Grande Observer.

Tick paralysis is caused by a neurotoxin produced in the parasite's salivary gland.

Once it was removed, Evelyn was walking the next day. Removing the tick usually provides symptom relief within 24 hours, though if the tick isn't removed, paralysis can spread to the respiratory system and can be fatal.

"Look who is walking out of the hospital!"

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.