IPhone explodes in Los Vegas store next to employee

Surveillance video shows a phone exploding on a desk just from an employee working to replace the screen inside a Las Vegas phone store.                      KTNV

Surveillance video shows a phone exploding on a desk just from an employee working to replace the screen inside a Las Vegas phone store. KTNV

He has seen a phone explode before but "It takes a lot for it to explode". The public was made painfully aware of the realities of battery explosions back when Samsung had to recall the Galaxy Note 7 not once but twice before finally cancelling the phone entirely. Lithium ion batteries are prone to combust if they're damaged or defective. Most times when a smartphone battery explodes, it's because the battery was damages as a result of some type of impact.

That changes now, as ABC News has obtained footage of this happening in a store in Las Vegas, although it's not clear if it happened at an official outlet or a third-party fix shop.

In a video obtained by KTNV news channel, a man can be seen sitting in a corner using his phone when an object on the table bursts into flames.


The employee quickly jumped up to get help as the phone burned itself out on the desk in less than 20 seconds. The exact source of the explosion is hard to make out in the video, but KTNV reports that it was an iPhone 6S. Prolonged exposure to high temperatures (like those common in the Las Vegas area), can cause longterm damage to your phone's battery according to Apple.

Paul Tartaglio owns Gadget Repair. Keeping the phone from getting too hot can extend the battery life.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.