Syria chemical attack 'staged' with help of foreign secret service: Russia

NATION-NOW    
          Russia blames UK for Syria chemical attack that killed dozens many of them children        Russia blames UK for Syria chemical attack

NATION-NOW Russia blames UK for Syria chemical attack that killed dozens many of them children Russia blames UK for Syria chemical attack

Russian Federation said that the Western powers "cynically" carried out military action hours before a team from the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons was set to begin an investigation into the suspected chemical weapons attack in the town of Douma in Eastern Ghouta that sparked the intervention by the United States and its allies.

Russian ambassador Anatoly Antonov warned late Friday that the attack "will not be left without consequences".

A fact-finding mission from the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons is expected to arrive in Douma on Saturday.

On Thursday, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said Mr Trump would continue to assess intelligence and engage with allies.

Speaking to reporters in Moscow, Lavrov reiterated a strong warning to the West against military action in Syria.

According to the World Health Organisation, during the shelling of Douma on Saturday, "an estimated 500 patients presented to health facilities exhibiting signs and symptoms consistent with exposure to toxic chemicals".

"The targets tonight again were specifically designed to degrade the Syrian war machine's ability to create chemical weapons and to set that back", Mattis said. He said the United States administration under Trump's command is conflicted and taking "bizarre" decisions without a strategic vision.

USA security officials immediately called for worldwide action to intervene in the situation after the chemical attack Saturday, and President TrumpDonald John TrumpTrump: I'd only rejoin Pacific trade pact if deal was "substantially better" GOP unveils mock cover of Comey book with "ego" attack NY Daily News cover hits Trump over Comey book revelations MORE has threatened a possible military strike against the government forces.

After six weeks of heavy fighting and an estimated 1,700 civilian deaths in the Eastern Ghouta region, the Syrian government is now said to have control of the area, which lies just outside Damascus.

The Russian military said its chemical experts visited Douma shortly after the alleged attack and found no trace of chemical agents in ground samples.


The Violations Documentation Center (VDC), which records alleged violations of global law in Syria, said bodies were found foaming at the mouth, and with discoloured skin and burns to the eyes.

US Ambassador Nikki Haley said no decision had been taken on military action and stressed the importance of carefully assessing all the implications.

The strikes have come after a week-long global push to punish the Assad regime after images and videos emerged on April 7 suggesting civilians - including children - had suffered a chemical attack in Douma.

"All responsibility for them rests with Washington, London and Paris".

But relations have instead soured over mounting evidence of Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election, Russia's alleged poisoning of a former double agent in Britain and Putin's support of Assad's government in Syria.

They agreed to "keep working closely" on the issue, Mrs May's office said in a statement. Mattis said no additional attacks were planned, though Trump earlier suggested the strikes could last longer.

Speaking to Fox News, the founder of the National Security Institute claimed it was time Russian Federation and Iran paid the price for supporting Syrian President Assad's regime following a series of US-UK-French military strikes aimed at the Syrian government forces on Saturday.

Mr Trump, who has cancelled a planned trip overseas, has been canvassing support for strikes from the leaders of France and the UK. It "could be very soon or not so soon at all".

The outgoing head of the CIA, Mike Pompeo, this week appeared to confirm reports that around 200 Russian mercenaries were killed in February during a clash with US-led forces in Syria. "We are still far from that", Kortunov told ABC News.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.